Monday 25 August 2014

Sessions one and two

As with all my projects I like to keep a blog of its progress mostly as my own long-term record to visit now and then.  Sometimes other folk follow my progress and contact me for a natter about it or to offer advice which is really nice.  So, as you are already reading this (!) please get in touch if you see something I am doing wrong (or maybe even right) and we can 'share' the build.  

The scary moment ..........





I have no idea why I thought the how-many-parts-are-there! stage would be any less frightening because it is smaller than 1/12th.  It isn't - at this point I can never imagine it being done.

This kit didn't come with instructions which is double scary for  a total 48th newbie but my husband persuaded Geoff Lewis (the creator) to do some for me.  So, armed with those and the diagrams from the box which identify the pieces, by the end of my first session I had completed Geoff's opening salvo which is to build the cottage and build the tower.






one cottage



one tower

I have thought hard and long about how much build to do before tackling individual rooms as always what you gain on one hand you lose on another which ever process you choose.  In the end I have opted for his method which is to build the project and then decorate and furnish.  It is an unusual finished piece as every area remains very accessible to you.  The two front walls come away from the building to see inside, the middle floors slide out and both roofs come off so, in theory, it should always be possible to decorate and furnish it at will.

An upside to finishing rooms after the build is being able to see where various elements start and end - the slope of a roof, the beams in the tower, the chimney breasts, stairs etc.  I probably won't be saying 'upside' when working on two inch wide wallpaper strips.  I am hoping to complete one room at a time and then finish the exterior.  

I can see something of a snag if I am going to light it.  It is not an easy building to light as it works on several levels and viewing is accessed from the front and the back so there is no obvious place for the batteries and switches to go.  If they go underneath (that means I have to construct a platform for it) I am having to travel the wires out invisibly down the walls  somewhere  to get to the bottom.  Similar problems arise if I just conceal the power in the roof of the cottage.  This is a visible area as it gives access to other floors and would have been a used  floor area in itself - in this case it will be a bathroom.

For now I am just shoving the lighting issue away until I have to resolve it.  

Fireplaces are also an issue as my fireplaces are wider than the chimney breasts - one of which is internal.  Somehow I am going to have to add width the breast.



 As for the external chimney where I thought I might set in wonderful lit fireplace, I can't for the life of me see how I can hack out a hole big enough to fit this in as the external chimney just isn't wide enough to take it and still leave sound edges.



Enough thinking for session one, and so to bed ...... 

back today to complete the basic building.  





Looks a bit church-like at this stage but it doesn't when it is finished.  Here you can see the buttresses in place around the tower and the two front walls which simply remove to see inside. 


Here the walls are gone and there are the five rooms waiting for me.  Bottom right - the kitchen/diner, above it is the sitting room (we can assume nice views of the countryside.  The attic room above gives access to the round tower (the nightmare yet to come!) and the bathroom.  The tower gives access to the two rooms above the 'gate'.  The first (on the same level as the bathroom) is the cosy bedroom (no chimney, therefore no fireplace) and above that is the room they call the eyrie.  This is beautifully beamed and with a large fireplace and makes a lovely reading nook and occasional guest bedroom. (pull-out settee).

A delightful place in the Cairngorms to spend a quiet Christmas for two.

(Meanwhile does anyone know someone who makes 1/48th radiators?










No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.