Tuesday 2 September 2014

Making the floor clock - Teresa's Miniature Creations

Teresa's Miniature Creations

Craftsman Floor Clock

$7

I came across this lady's work last year by buying the only piece someone had on their table at a show.  It is a really lovely bookcase and it set me off trying to find Teresa Callender.  All I could discover then was her work was hard to get.  Doing this review I have gone on another search and found her site which is linked to the title here.  I can't tell you if it is still in operation.  Check it out and give it a try.  She really does create some very fine pieces.

I wanted to make the bookcase (I only have these two pieces) but it needs to be filled before you attach the front so I thought I would leave that for a while as I don't want unfinished bits and bobs floating around.  So to the clock....



Perfectly reasonable packaging showing the clock in colour and telling you that it is made in cherry wood.  All her work uses good quality wood and is chosen according to the style/period of the furniture.


The kit is a sheer joy to assemble.  

Firstly all the pieces are cut out so there is no messing around nipping them out of a frame.  The attached variety leave you with an light coloured nib to rub down and stain to match the char of the rest of the cutting, so nice not to have to do that.  Also, I have already discovered, pieces are prone to breaking when removing.  All of that is solved here.

The next pleasure is to be handling cherry wood.  The quality of the wood, cuts and finish in this kit meant it didn't need any finishing medium at all.

The instructions are clear and the order of assembly would work perfectly well but me, being me, think I improved on them.  She began with attaching both sides and then inserting top block and bottom block. 



 Luckily before my second side glued up I realised it would probably be easier to attach one side (or even none) and glue in the top and bottom blocks next as they added strength and shaping to hold the sides at perfect right angles.  Also so she recommends trial fitting the clock face to ensure it is in the right position for the top piece before gluing it to the block - much easier was to glue it in the right place to the back of the front piece. 

 As I said none of this is vital but sometimes it may be worth considering ways other than the instructions.  This is a total contradiction to my saying several times in my previous makes, you must always follow the instructions to the letter.  I suppose the truth is, start that way but as you get the feel of something you can sometimes see a way you might prefer to do it.  Whatever the route this was a truly lovely kit and made a beautiful little piece.


There was a teeny issue with this one.  The picture on the packet shows a black clock face - mine was mirrored and, oddly, had been damaged in some way.  The markings were very vague and the face was scratched.  I am pretty certain this isn't how it left Callender.  I bought this from a very odds and ends stall and think it had been open.  It looks to me as if the person who opened it thought there was a protective film on it or something and had tried to peel/scratch  it off?  I went over the important things with a black pen and think it will pass muster.

The glass face cover is actually glass!


I've added an extra finished photo to show you the detail.  I might go back in and knock the sharp edges off.  I like doing that to pieces to remove that planky, spanking new look.  Though as a craftsman piece that is precisely the look they would have wanted.  

Love the pendulum. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.